Monday, April 29, 2013

The Six String


During one summer, me and my family went to Paradise Island, a beach resort in Samal Island, Davao. As we were eating our dinner, a group of musicians came to our table and played pleasing music. All of us were amazed by their performance. Some of my relatives even sang together with them.

Their band was composed of five members. One woman and four men.
The woman was the lead singer and each of the men was holding a different kind of guitar.
One was using an ordinary acoustic guitar just like what we have in our house.
The other one was using a very big guitar taller then he was.
The third one was using a very small guitar and it looks very cute.
The last one was using a unique sounding guitar. The shape of its body was round and it has no sound hole.
I never knew that there are different kinds of guitars way back then.

Few weeks later, I caught sight of the very small guitar, like the one i saw in the beach, hanged on one corner of school's music ministry office. I was very excited to get my hands on it. As it was handed to me, I stared at it for quite some time.  It really got me wondering why it only has four strings. 
"How do I play this thing?", I asked myself.
Seeing the way I stared at the tiny guitar, the office in charge, a nun, then asked me, "My child, so you know how to play a ukulele?"
"What do you call this guitar, sister?", I asked again. "It's a ukulele." She replied with a smile.
I guess, she already knew that i was expecting the six string variety of the guitar.
Knowing very well that I was new to the guitar world, she taught me how to use it.

As there are different kinds of fruit, there are also different kinds and variations of guitar.

It comes in different forms and produces different sounds as well. This blog assumes that you, just like i was before, are new to the guitar world and want to play a guitar, not a banjo, ukulele, or mandolin, and we concentrate on using the six string variety like this one:


In addition to that, this blog also DOESN'T assume that:
  • You already have your guitar(I'll talk about how to buy your guitar in one of my upcoming posts).
  • You already have a preference on what kind of guitar to use (Electric or acoustic).
  • You already favor a certain particular style of playing (Rock, Jazz, or Country).

Stay with me and let's make cool music with your six string!

No comments:

Post a Comment